This amazing 1st time mum listened to her baby and followed her instincts to birth with our colleagues at @RSCH_Maternity where she absolutely rocked her birth bringing her baby in to the world with the aid of water. #BirthIsAmazingWhereverItHappens
We are delighted to be able to finally share our 2019 stats with you.
The Surrey Hills Homebirth team work within a continuity caseloading model which means that we continue to care for our clients throughout their childbearing journey, even if plans or place of birth change along the way*
In 2019 we were responsible for the care of 203 pregnant women and their families.
Of these families 32% birthed their first baby, 42% birthed their second, while 26% birthed their third or subsequent baby
92% of our entire caseload experienced a vaginal birth and 82% knew the midwife who was caring for them in labour.
133 (66%) of our caseload used water in labour (hydrotherapy) with 50% (n=101) remaining in the water as they birthed their baby (waterbirth).
We welcomed 99 girls and 104 boys in to the world.
From our original caseload (n=203) 73% (n=148) of families planned to give birth at home with the Surrey Hills team at the onset of established labour. The remaining 55 families (27%) opted for an alternative place of birth. This change in planned place of birth occurred for a number of different reasons including consent to Induction of Labour, the development of situations/conditions which recommended a hospital based birth and moving out of area.
Of the 148 families who planned to give birth at home at the onset of labour 82% achieved their planned birth at home (n=121). 18% (n=27) experienced an in labour transfer to an alternative place of birth, while 3% (n=5) were transferred in the immediate postnatal period.
95% of the clients that birthed at home had a physiological (natural) birth of the placenta with optimal cord clamping.
*please note that there have been some changes to our service in 2020 due to Covid 19 pandemic. Please talk to a team member or read the Covid 19 page for more details
The team had a delightful Saturday afternoon supporting this amazing couple welcome their first child earth side. This little fella was in such a hurry there was no time to fill the pool! #continuity #homebirth #primip
It was an absolute pleasure to support this family as they welcomed their little boy earth side in the comfort of their own home.
It was also very special birth for our new midwife Lucy M, her first homebirth since joining the team this week!
Delighted to share this birth announcement from one of our clients who birthed at @RSCH_Maternity during the suspension.
It has been an absolute pleasure to support this family through two pregnancies #continuity #VBAC
“…My care from the home birth team came quite late into the pregnancy as we had moved to the area when I was 33 weeks, but instantly the team made you feel very welcome. The opportunity to meet you all has made such a huge difference to my mindset and knowing I had the support of you all made me feel at complete ease. It has been first class, you are a fantastic group of women who have turned my experience of birth into such a positive one. You have supported my decisions and fulfilled me with absolute confidence and calmness, and for that I’ll be eternally grateful.”
Surrey Hills Client May 2020
Hello! Just wanted to say a big thank-you to the homebirth team. I was initially really disappointed when I was told that homebirth would not be an option given the current circumstances.
However, after baby arrived safely on Sunday morning I can say that I had the most lovely experience in the hospital.
I was so pleased that Lucy, who had been looking after me throughout pregnancy was available at the hospital to see me through my birth.
The room was so cosy and peaceful, you would have no idea we were in the middle of a pandemic.
Being able to go home and recover so quickly was lovely, but we didn’t feel rushed out the door at all.
I know a lot of homebirth ladies are feeling anxious about the change in plans but all in all, I felt like I had everything I wanted out of a homebirth but in a hospital setting (and no mess in my carpets!).
Surrey Hills Client April 2020